Matthias Generating Station is a single-unit hydroelectric station located on the South Muskoka River, 8 km East of Highway 11 off highway 118 on Hawn Road, in Bracebridge. Construction on the site began in 1948 and the plant began producing electricity on July 6, 1950. The station has an installed capacity of 2.812 MW.
The station consists of a powerhouse, a concrete gravity section, spillway, and intake block. The spillway section contains 3 sluices. Each intake contains trash racks near the entrance. Behind each intake are provisions for stop logs and two steel headgates, which can be raised or lowered with an electric motor into the intake to provide a water stop to the penstock entrance. A single penstock is 4.57 metres in diameter and 72.54 metres in length on steel saddles are embedded in the top of concrete piers, in order to the anchor block at the east side of the power house. Upon exiting the tailrace, the water of the South Muskoka River flows downstream to the Trethewey Falls Generating Station owned by OPG.
Matthias is connected to Hydro One Networks 92M2 line at the 9AB-830 switch.
This hydroelectric generating station generates approximately 15,100 MWh of renewable energy per year.
|River System:||South Muskoka River|
|Nameplate Capacity:||2.812 MW|
|OPA Contracted Capacity:||2.95 MW|
|Operator:||Orillia Power Generation Corporation|
|Turbines:||One vertical Kaplan turbine|
Ontario Power Authority
Media and Public Relations
T. 416-969-6307 or